By publishing ethics we understand a complex of rules regulating relations of editorial staff among themselves, with members of the editorial board, external reviewers and authors on publications. The current editorial guidelines are based on international norms of publication ethics and take into account the recommendations of the Committee on Publishing Ethics (COPE, www.publicationethics.org) and the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE, http://www.icmje.org).The principles of professional ethics in the work of the editorial body, the publishing group and the editorial board
- The editorial body is fully responsible and authorized to reject or accept articles for publication. The decision on acceptance of articles for publication bases on an assessment of article compliance to the journal profile, scientific relevance and novelty of the material, authenticity of statistical data and results of conducted researches, originality and logical consistency of the text. Editors should not allow the publication of materials, if they have no scientific value, do not fit the profile of the journal or contrary to its editorial policy. Editors should not allow the publication of materials if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they contain plagiarism or have been previously published in other editions in the same language (if reveal violations of this kind, editors may refuse publication at any time including the stage of preliminary examination without involvement of reviewers and deny considering any work from the unfair authors for three years).
- The editorial body ensures that the quality of scientific publications does not depend on commercial interests. The editorial body reserves the right to publish promotional articles but agrees to mark them unequivocally as advertising ones.
- The editorial body uses all reasonable efforts to ensure anonymity of reviewers. Personalities of the reviewers are not disclosed to the authors unless the reviewer himself makes a decision to enter into a direct conversation with the author.
- Editors use all reasonable efforts to ensure the impartial articles reviewing. Editors ensure the article to be not directed to a reviewer having a known conflict of interest with the author. If reveal any signs of preconceived reviewing, the editorial body has the right to stop collaboration with the unfair reviewer sine die.
- The editorial body ensures confidentiality of submitted materials until they are published.
- The editorial body is constantly working to improvement of journal activities.
- The editorial team encourages discussion on topical issues of science among the authors, promptly publishes corrections of texts and explanations for them, as well as denials and apologies if necessary.
- The editorial body ensures the open access availability of relevant instructions for authors concerning the terms and conditions of publication of their research results in the journal.
- The editors reserve the right to technical editing of manuscripts, correction of stylistic, grammatical and spelling errors routinely without notification of the author. At that, editors ensure that the editing does not change the meaning of the author's text.The ethical principles in the work of reviewers
- Reviewers should respect the authors of the reviewed papers, formulate reviews correctly and objectively, if necessary confirming the opinion with references to literary sources. Reviewers' comments should be constructive and motivated by search after truth. When revealing misjudgments, distorted, incorrect or incorrectly described data, a reviewer must point out this to the author in order he eliminate the revealed violations. Ultimate refusal of article should be considered as an extreme measure for the cases when the manuscript does not fit the profile of the journal, the journal policy, research or publishing ethics. In case of insufficient scientific and professional competence for the objective evaluation of directed materials, the reviewer must inform the editorial body about this.
- When reviewing articles, reviewers must be fair and impartial. If a reviewer has a conflict of interest concerning the reviewed article, he must inform the editorial body and refuse the reviewing of this article.
- Reviewers have to adhere to timescales in articles reviewing. If a reviewer is unable to review the article within a given period, he must notify the editors without delay, preferably offering an alternative reviewer.
- Reviewers have to guard confidentiality of evaluations and reviews of articles and have to exclude falling of the unpublished material among third parties and its unauthorized use.The ethical principles that authors of scientific publications should guide:
- The materials submitted by the author to the journal for publication must be original and authentic. It is inadmissible to use data of other authors under the guise owns results. It is inadmissible to submit knowingly false data. If recognize unintended misreporting, mistakes made at research carrying or results description, the author must promptly remedy the failures and notify the editors. If the article has already been published, the author must send material for publishing a denial.
- Authors are obliged to prevent the republication of their papers published in other editions. An exception may be a paper published in another edition and in another language, but in this case this fact should be explicitly reflected in the manuscript. At that, the question of the possibility to publish such a material will be considered in the context of respect for copyright and the original publisher rights.
- Authors are obliged to be fair in citing third party data and judgments, to avoid distortions and always correctly indicate the citation sources. It is preferred to use the original source for citation.
- Authors should conscientiously participate in the reviewing process of their manuscripts, respect the reviewers, constructively respond to their comments and questions.
- Authors should respect the work of the editors conscientiously follow the guidelines of manuscript submission. In case of requests from the editors on confirmation of reality and authenticity of the data, should provide relevant written statements.
- When submitting a manuscript to the journal, authors must avoid conflicts of interest, i.e. situations where someone from the editorial body is interested to influence decision on publishing.
- In case of refusal of the submitted material by editors, authors have the right to appeal this decision.
All persons involved in the publishing process take on the above-mentioned obligations. Editor-in-Chief coordinates all the editorial work, makes decisions on key issues, considers all the controversial points concerning compliance with undertaken commitments as well as authorizes the current number for printing and gives permission to place the materials to the journal website. The Editor-in-Chief fully ensures compliance with all the ethical standards outlined here.EDITORIAL POLICY OF THE JOURNAL EDITORIAL POLICY OF THE JOURNAL
The main purpose of the journal is to spread frontier knowledge about macro and trace elements on a worldwide basis, providing an opportunity for researchers and physicians to share the information concerning progress and results of research in the field of the biological role of chemical elements and their practical use in medicine and related fields.
The journal is a specialized multi-disciplinary edition on bioelementology covering entire set of scientific fields related to the study of the biological role of chemical elements.
The most important aspect of concept of the journal is its bilingualism. The journal is considered as a platform intended to provide active scientific cooperation between the Russian-speaking specialists and foreign colleagues, the rapid exchange of information between scientists and doctors around the world. The journal publishes articles in Russian and English languages, each article is accompanied by informative abstracts in Russian and English. Our authors are scientists from all regions of Russia, CIS, Baltic states and far abroad countries from all inhabited continents. When composing the journal editors adheres to the principles according to which each issue must contain at least one article in English and at least one article of a foreign author. Thus, in our magazine are reflected all the latest achievements of both national and foreign science.
The journal has formed actively working editorial board consisting of well-known domestic and foreign scientists and established flexible work of reviewers. All articles in the journal are peer-reviewed.
The journal is committed to improving the level of informational support of the science and technology, the popularization of scientific studies. All issues of the journal are placed in the open access. The editorial team is constantly working to ensure presence of the journal in scientific, technical and bibliographic databases, its inclusion in newly formed indexed scientific and bibliographic resources.
The journal pays attention to the organizational side of the scientific process: in addition to scientific articles, it publishes information on relevant scientific events, important national and international administrative decisions in the field of bioelementology, interesting updates of specialized scientific literature, significant events in the activities of research groups, etc.
The journal’s editors encourage civilized debates and discussions on the prospects of the science of bioelements and its practical aspects in the issue.
The journal "Trace Elements in Medicine" is focused on the scientists and physicians of different profiles with specialization on macro and trace elements, specialists of nutrition, occupational and rehabilitation medicine, veterinarians and specialists in analytical chemistry, health administrators, researchers in the study of the biological role of chemical elements and their use in medicine, biology, ecology; the journal may also be useful to anthropologists and scientists specializing in the field of systems biology.